In Italy, savory breakfasts aren’t really a thing. In lieu of bacon and eggs, you’re likely to find sweet treats on Italian breakfast tables: like the delicious classic ciambellone.
This ring shaped treat is light, lemony, and oh so satisfying. A ciambellone pairs perfectly with morning coffee, and makes a great after lunch dessert.
And the best part? You can get one ready to go into the oven in just 10 minutes!
One of the many reasons that ciambellone has become such a staple around our household.
Today I’m showing you exactly how to make one at home, with this classic ciambellone recipe. It comes straight from “Nonnina”, my grandma in law who lives in central Italy!
How To Make A Classic Italian Ciambellone At Home
Start by gathering all your cooking supplies and ingredients out on the counter. Then grab your mixing bowl, and combine the sugar and melted butter until well combined.
Next, stir in two eggs followed by the yogurt. Combine the mixture until the eggs and yogurt are fully incorporated.
I recommend using plain whole milk yogurt, but I’ve also used vanilla whole milk yogurt. It’s just as delicious and a touch sweeter!
Next, slowly fold in your flour and sprinkle in the baking soda. The final ingredient is to stir in in your lemon zest.
Your cake batter will be slightly thick and, thanks to the lemon, has a light yellow hue.
Next lightly grease your bundt pan. I use butter, but you could also use a vegetable oil spray.
Pour your batter in to the pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 25- 30 minutes.
The cake is ready to be removed when the edges are golden brown, and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Let it cool for 20 minutes before removing it from the pan. Allow it to cool down fully, and then your ciambellone is ready to be served!
You can serve it on its own, with powdered sugar, or my favorite: with a side of fresh blueberries!
Classic Italian Lemon Ciambellone Recipe
- Dark Bundt Pan or Ring Pan – (lower temp by 25 degrees farenheit for glass)
- Large Bowl
- Stand Mixer, Hand Mixer or Wire Whisk
- Citrus Zester
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 7 tbs melted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt – (plain or vanilla flavored)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 ⅔ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Combine sugar and melted butter in a large bowl
- Mix in two large eggs
- Stir in whole milk yogurt
- Add in vanilla extract and lemon peel
- Slowly fold in flour while mixing constantly
- Add in baking powder and mix until just combined
- Pour in to lightly greased baking pan
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes. Cake should be slightly golden, and inserted toothpick should come out clean
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate
- Allow to fully cool before serving
Thanks so much for checking out this beloved Italian breakfast recipe: The Ciambellone.
I love having simple things like this for breakfast, because it’s so light and delicious! Even though it keeps for a couple days- you may have trouble making it last that long!
If you are looking for other fun recipes to try at home, be sure to check out another one of my favorite Italian breakfasts recipes, The Classic Cherry Crostata.
What are your favorite breakfast treats to make at home? I’m always looking for new ideas, so let me know in the comments below!